Evergreen Cemetery, adjacent to Gettysburg Battlefield, was established in 1854 as a town cemetery for Gettysburg. Considerable military action took place here during the Battle of Gettysburg. It is believed by many historians that the platform on which Abraham Lincoln delivered his Gettysburg Address was located in the Evergreen cemetery. Gettysburg National Cemetery was later established as a formal military cemetery; Evergreen Cemetery remains a community cemetery serving the town of Gettysburg.
Panorama by Alan Chaffee Photography